The American Jewish community is reeling from the sudden and tragic passing of Rabbi David Ellenson, an esteemed figure widely respected for his leadership in Judaism’s Reform movement. Dr. Ellenson, 76, served as the Director of the Schusterman Center for Israel Studies and was the interim president of the Hebrew Union College-Jewish Institute of Religion (HUC-JIR).

Renowned for his scholarly contributions and revered for his kindness, Rabbi David Ellenson was a guiding light in the Reform movement. His writings on early Orthodoxy and his ability to generously engage with diverse perspectives set a standard for Jewish scholarship.

We mourn the passing of Rabbi David Ellenson, a leader in the Reform movement, National Jewish Book Award winner & a long-time friend of JBC. May his memory be a blessing. Read more on his award-winning book here. https://t.co/rYxJZPWJUG pic.twitter.com/8gZjGTUHMN

— Jewish Book Council (@JewishBook) December 8, 2023

Born in Brookline, Massachusetts, in 1947, and raised in an Orthodox Jewish household in Newport News, Virginia, Ellenson’s journey led him to numerous academic achievements. He held a B.A. from the College of William and Mary in 1969, an M.A. in religious studies from the University of Virginia in 1972, and earned his ordination at HUC-JIR in 1977. In 1981, he obtained his Ph.D. from Columbia University.

We mourn the passing of Rabbi David Ellenson, our cherished colleague and former director (2015-2018). A prolific scholar of the highest caliber, he is remembered even more for his endless kindness, generosity, emotional openness & good humor. In memoriam: https://t.co/IPG8aI4AJe pic.twitter.com/loTdDhcDhi

— Israel Studies (@Israel_Studies) December 9, 2023

Jill Jacob, reflecting on Ellenson’s legacy, expressed, “Rabbi David Ellenson was a scholar, a profoundly thoughtful leader, and most importantly the mentschiest of mentsches. He was endlessly generous.” Others echoed similar sentiments, highlighting his moral leadership and passionate contributions to Judaism.

So sad to hear of the passing of scholar and superlative human being, Dr. David Ellenson. I’ll never forget when I published my first article as a student one person took the time to write me a note. It meant so much to me. Baruch Dayan Emeth. pic.twitter.com/OopQyW22kD

— David Wolpe (@RabbiWolpe) December 7, 2023

His sudden passing has deeply affected the community, leaving a void in Jewish scholarship and leadership. Tributes and condolences pour in from across the globe, acknowledging Ellenson’s impact on Jewish life and education.

Details regarding Rabbi David Ellenson’s obituary and funeral arrangements will be shared by his family at a later time.

ncG1vNJzZmiin5fAo7vTrGWcp51kuaatw56pZqeWYsGpsYyjrJ2Zmai6br7En6arpV2ivLexzJ6lrWWilq%2BjtYydmK%2BhlGKyrbjEp6qopl2drrR5w6KcrGWRqXp4go4%3D